Drifting through many unique jobs and adventures after college, Chuck found his direction in life while working as a crew member on a 51-foot sailboat crossing the Atlantic Ocean. Following the trip, he earned a masters degree in communications and professional accreditation and began a series of career moves that have given him great insight into the workings of organizations, from community groups to government organizations and Fortune 500 corporations.
Chuck received a Virginia Press Association award for weekly newspaper column writing for his humor column in the Chesterfield Observer, and he has penned frequent humor pieces for publications such as Home Style, WorkMagazine, Richmond Magazine, Richmond Bride, Welcome Inc., and others. His writing ties into his motivational speaking where he tells funny stories of life adventures and shares insights into rediscovering pleasure in life and finding success in work.
Chuck also is the author of three books:
- Build Your Castles in the Air: Thoreau’s Inspiring Advice for Success in Business (and Life) in the 21st Century
- Nose-Sucker Thingees, Weeds Whacking Back & Cats in the Bathtub: Does Life Get Any Better?
- A Dad’s Work is Never Clear: Tales of Love, Marriage, Parenting and Ice Cream. Lots of Ice Cream.
Less Conventional Work Experience
- Crewmember on a 51-foot sloop crossing the North Atlantic (image at top of page and right)
- Bouncer in a Caribbean saloon (image below, with the rust roof)
- Blackjack dealer
- Private detective
- Copier salesman
- Donut maker
- Cigarette factory tour guide
- Daycare teacher
- Waiter (for 2 hours)
- Many more…
Extensive Business Work Experience
- Press secretary for Congresswoman Susan Molinari
- Speechwriter for Virginia Governor George Allen
- Communications director for a Virginia Secretary of Transportation Rob Martínez
- Director of Virginia’s Adopt-a-Highway program
- Public affairs officer, Virginia Department of Transportation
- Executive speechwriter and communications professional with Reynolds Metals Co.
- Executive speechwriter and communications professional with Alcoa
- Executive speechwriter and communications professional with Capital One Financial Corp.
Education and Accreditation
- Masters in Public Affairs and Public Relations, Golden Gate University, San Francisco
- Bachelors in Communications, Minor/Marketing, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Accredited Public Relations (APR), Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
- Member – The Thoreau Society
Chuck and Stacy Hansen have two adult children, Daniel and Madison, and live in beautiful Midlothian, Va.
To contact Chuck:
Email: chuck underscore hansen at verizon dot net